the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

basketball.kg

i might have gotten a bit carried away during an interview with our local version of espn regarding the game on saturday.  here is the interview.

David Conover: Bringing in players is the same as the coach saying «I don't believe in you... you are not good enough».
17.02.2010 09:34
In the exclusive interview to Basketball.kg the main coach of BK «Ak-Bars» David Conover told about his negative attitude toward bringing in new players to the team and expressed his frustration about the loss of Omelchenko, Kapustin and Billings in the decisive stage of play-off.


- How did the preparation to play-off go? What tactics has been chosen against the rival?

- I felt like we had two really good weeks of practice in preparation for the game. The long break gave us a chance to work on some of the little things we still struggle with as a team - defensive rotations, rebounding, and working as a team on offense. More importantly, the two weeks gave us a chance to rest and get healthy.

Up until Friday I was unsure if Denise was going to be able to play in the game. His shoulder has really limited his participation in practice and I questioned the logic of letting him played injured fearing that he might hurt himself again - which of course he did.  Paul is also missing from the team for the rest of the season so were are only down to eight healthy players before the game.  Having so few reserves is a challenge.

In regards to your question about tactics - we don't need to change our tactics against anyone as I believe we have a good system on both defense and offense. I don't mean that as an insult to Mobile Seti or the other teams - but I do believe that we are the best team in the league. The problem is that we don't play like champions.

We had stretches during game on Saturday when we fall apart for no reason. We stop rebounded WHICH DRIVES ME CRAZY. Mobile Seti killed us on the offense boards. And there is no reason for it. We have a tall, long team. But we only like to rebound the ball if it comes directly to us. We never go strong and chase after the rebound. We stand around with our hands down at our sides and don't box out. And this is something we work on over and over and over again but we still don't do it during the game.  Maybe I am the problem as the coach.  We are a very good fast break team in practice but never run the fast break during the game.  That is something we need to improve.

I tell my team everyday that we have to focus on the little things in order to win. The little things make the difference between winning by 20 and losing by 2. Even with Vlas and Denise being injured - if we had done the little things we should have won on Saturday.

But I will say that I love my team.  They play hard and are trying their best to improve.  While I am disappointed we lost - I am proud of each of them.

- What was successful in the match, and what on the contrary, has not worked?

- We played a good game until the fourth quarter. At which point having Vlas and Denise out of the game with injuries really hurt us.  We also missed Paul as he is one of our best defenders.  We were in control of the game the entire way until the fourth quarter when I think we just got tired.  I put a combination of players out on the floor that hadn't played together before and the results were not good.  That is my fault as the coach.

We lost the game because we didn't do the little things that I always talk about.  We need to do a better job rebounding.  A better job of switching on picks.  And a better job of staying committed to our offense and running it the entire game.  I also need to do a better job as the coach of the team.  I feel like I let my team down at the end of the game by not having them better prepared.

- What happened with Vlas Omelchenko and how did the club react to the loss of the leader?

- I am assuming that Vlas is out of the rest of the year.  I have not heard the doctor's report yet but from viewing the injury I believe it is fairly serious.  It was a setback to our team but we did a good job of recovering after he was injured.

Vlas is our best player and the leader of both our offense and defense. We don't have anyone who can step into his shoes at the point guard position. Jonathan does a good job of running the point but his more natural position is at the wing where he is one of the best scorers in the league. Rioght now I don't have a capable third point guard behind Jonathan so he was forced to play the entire game at that position.   Mobile Seti did a good job pressing us in the second half and forcing us out of our offense.  They are a very well coached team and their coach is excellent.   Everyone on our team needs to step up if we are going to win our next match.

- From the very beginning of the game you began to appeal to the referees, what were the reasons for it?

Let me start off by saying that the referees are all very professional and competent.  I do not want to be one of those coaches that blames the referees for losing a game.  All of the referees have been very kind in welcoming me to the league.  I thank them for that.

But at times it did feel like we were playing against five Mobile Seti players and three referees.  I have talked to my team about not getting upset with the referees as they did this game.  I was disappointed that they taled so much to them.  It won't happen again this game.  But I feel as frustrated as they do as more than a fair share of bad calls happen against us.  Jonathan and David in particular seem to get fouls called on them that don't make any sense.  I have not been able to get an explanation from the referees on why they focus so much on them.

For example - If you are playing defense in the lane, you aren't moving, your hands are straight up in the air, and the offense player runs into you - that is a foul on the offensive player.  Maybe I don't understand the rules here in Central Asia.  The officials let players get knocked down on the outside (like Stas was knocked down with no foul called in the fourth quarter) but if you even touch someone when they drive inside they call a foul.

An offensive player is also not allowed to set a moving pick.  That is a rule in every country and in every league - an offensive player is not allowed to set a moving pick.  Why do they allow players to do that here?

Very frustrating.

The officials also never call three seconds.  Mobile Seti just sits players inside the lane without moving them.  That is against the rules.  Once I was able to get the referee to make that call after standing next to him and counting to seven before he blew the whistle.

Also - the referees twice stopped the game to listen to a complaint from the other coach.  How is that possible without calling a time out?!  That gives the other team an unfair advantage.


- In you opinion, will there be a third match in your series?

- I believe we will play strong in our next game and force a third match.  But it is going to be hard as Vlas is out of the year and it looks like Denise will also miss the game with a serious shoulder injury.

But no matter what happens we are a team.  A team!  I do not believe that we need to bring in players from other countries and other leagues like Tulpar and Mobile Seti has - even though we are down to only seven healthy players.  I am disappointed that other teams would do that.  What kind of message does that send to a team when the coach doesn't have enough faith in you?  Bringing in players is the same as the coach saying "I don't believe in you... you are not good enough".  The two new players for Mobile Seti didn't even dress in the same locker room as the rest of the team.  They had their own private locker room.  That is not what a team is about.

And mighty Tulpar - do they doubt their team so much that they need to bring in outside players who have not played with them all year?  I like my team just the way we are and I hope that we don't bring in extra players even if we only have seven healthy players.  I will suit up and play before I ask my owner for another player.   But it would only be fair if we bring in other players as the other teams have done it.  I hope we don't.  Ak Bars is a team!

- Have "Mobile Seti" surprised you with their game and can you surprise them this Saturday?

- I don't think there are any surprises at this point.  Each team knows each other team very well.  The winner will be determined by who does the little things better.  As I have said before, Mobile Seti is a very good team with a very good coach.  They have the best point guard in the league and really good post players.  It will be a very hard fought game.  I admire the two new old players they are employing - so much so that I might dress out and play myself.  Our surprise for them will be when score 30 points and we win.

Salima SKORIK
Пожалуйста, зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему для добавления комментариев к этой статье.
 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry....now to work on the little things. Better luck next time out!

    ReplyDelete