the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

joy in the journey... zombie

a posting from jen's blog...

Zombie

I knew my husband was a crazy man when I married him.

Luckily, it's the brand of crazy that is adorable and endearing and not the psychotic type.

This Friday was no different than any other Friday. We woke up, got ready for work, packed up an ordinary lunch, and headed off to school in our Vento. We had about an hour and a half of class time, which has now shifted from educating children to babysitting them since our units are close to finished, if not all. We ate snack together. An hour and forty five minutes later was lunch.

That is when things started getting crazy.

I was sitting in the small room that we use for our cafeteria. Our director came over and was speaking with me about her 2 year old son (which I kind of tuned out since everything always comes back to "you'll see" and that is really annoying...increasingly annoying). Just in time when my eyes were getting glazed over , I see about fifty kids running like a swarm of bees past the window which was behind the director's head.

Rialto flashbacks. My first thought was that it was a fight. But, all the kids had smiling faces and their arms were out in front of them. Not the kind of smiles of contentment but raging, blood-thirsty kind of smiles.

"What could be happening?", I thought.

The kids went in and then out of my range of vision and I had to stand up from my hot plate full of spaghetti. (That's how you know my curiosity was peaked).

Then, in the distance I see a full grown man with kids around him like ants to honey, like White on Rice, like...you get the picture. Hey, I recognize that shirt...

It was David. He was getting attacked.

Should I save him? (Remember, I was eating spaghetti...so "no")
How could someone start playing "Zombie" with fifty kids?
The real question: How do 50 kids (that is more than half the school) all want to play the same game of Zombie?

I don't know how he did it...but that is the kind of kid-loving personality he has.

David just filled me in that he had to come inside the school and stop the lot of them from coming inside by enforcing the rule that kids have to stay outside during lunch. He was so out of breath, flustered, and out-numbered that the load of kids finally procured him from the building and practically mauled him.

Then, thinking fast, he quickly named an older kid "The New Zombie" and the swarm flocked over running and tripping to the next Zombie and then the next. It was amazing and they (all of them) were loving it!

Good times. He is making new rules on a spreadsheet tonight.

I hope I explained this well enough...a recording could only do it justice. It was hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment