the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Monday, September 8, 2008

monday

it is another lovely day here in bishkek. for the past week, the temperature has been in the low 80s during the day and in the 60s at night. absolutely wonderful. the skies have been amazingly clear and blue since we arrived (almost) a month ago and it is nice to live someplace lacking in smog.

matt (our couch surfer), jennifer and myself went to a sports bar located next door to our apartment (it is built over the river) last night in hope of watching some american football. our plan was to watch houston vs pittsburg and use their "wifi" to skype home and talk to my dad (who was watching the game back home). unfortunately the only game they could pick up on satellite was tampa vs new orleans. so we ambled back home after sharing a basket of fries. it would have made for a late night anyway as there is a 13 hour time difference between central asia and the central usa.

there is an open house at the school this evening so we will be stuck here all afternoon. we have a break from 400pm until 630pm and instead of running home, i believe that we are going to head over to a new restaurant called "damack" that serves pretty much the best lebanese food east of beirut.

matt... our couch surfer departs today (or maybe tomorrow) to continue his two year bike ride around the world. he has been delayed here in bishkek for the past ten days awaiting his visa into china. we've enjoyed his company and wish him well on his journey.

couchsurfing.com has been a pretty cool site. jen and i have been amazed at the number of request we get from people asking to crash at our place. while on one hand we are suprised that bishkek has so many visitors (being off the beaten path and all), we can understand the appeal for people to come and visit as the city is a good, good place.

we are feeling pretty blessed to be here.

one of our goals for the week is to take photos of our classrooms, our apartment, and of our daily routine so our loyal readers (all three of you!) can get a better idea of our life.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you know that I read every word & look at every picutre that the two of you post. I love keeping up with the adventure!
    Love you both,
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm with Aunt Judy, I read your blog everyday and I love it! I am praying for your Dad and think of you all everyday. Stay safe and stop eating in shady restaurants that make you sick :) Lots of love, Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for reading our blog and for your prayers for my dad... it means alot.

    - david

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you both know that I am your #1 blog fan... even though I'm a bit late in catching up with you two. I love the photos too and am so glad that you both seem to be enjoying life there more and more every day. It always helps if you like your surroundings when you are so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen,

    I am so glad to see you are so happy. I have really wished that for you. I sounds to me like you two are having marvelous adventures. I love you and always have. Betty our old housekeeper remembers you and wishes love to you also.

    Debbra Walter (you know, Nikki's Mom)

    ReplyDelete