the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Monday, July 21, 2008

We Are Family


Time here was perfect, in retrospect.

My brother had his wedding this past Saturday. It was a quaint backyard wedding. It left a good feeling to see them so happy, so married, and with so many family members as witnesses. Marie had her dream dress. At the end of the day, they went to the Mission Inn for their Honeymoon. There were lots of things that didn't get done at the wedding. The salad didn't get put out. The toast never happened. Cake was late coming. And, when all was said and done, none of that mattered.

That was important for me to see. It helped me lose some stress about our wedding. Everything that was important happened.

Mom, Dad & Alicia, and everyone else just came and helped set up. I really was anxious about having everyone together but it was fine. David got the full picture of the stresses involved having a large family. The whole time he kept saying, "This should be a reality TV show." David saw the unedited version.

I had such a nourishing time spending time with Kyle & Marie's family. The kids are so fun and loving to each other. It's so saddening to think that I won't be able to see my family for a year. A whole year! Eva will be 2 when we come back from Kyrgyzstan. Thank heavens for Skype(online video chatting)!

Mom and I have had some fun and productive chats piled on a twin sized bed. Some more fun, others more productive. Dad and Alicia came down and played with the kids. Family from Redlands and Utah came to support Kyle and Marie. Relationships were rejuvenated and more friendships were formed.

I guess what I'm saying is that this weekend, it really felt like all of us were a family; a group of people with craziness, quirks, and eccentricities who love one another and have different strengths. When we work together we are a great team and I feel great that David is going to be my family, and we are part of a larger one.

Note to David: I promise to never lock you out.

-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment