the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a post from jen's blog

a post from jen's blog...

Recap of Tuesday and Wednesday with a painful amount of unneeded details...

Dear HusbandDavey,

We are both pretty terrible at talking on the phone even after our good attempts so here's more info than you care to know about the last two days.

Our little baby girl looks so different sleeping than she does awake. Sometimes when she is very exhausted she looks like little fat bald man who fell asleep watching a game show with the remote in his hand after a hard day of truck driving. She becomes an OMB (open mouthed breather) and relaxes without reservation. All she needs is a little pint-sized LazyBoy.

But, when Olivia is awake she is so observant and alert. I noticed that when I was reviewing the photos I have taken in the last couple days. She seems to have looks on her face that deserve captions. You'll see what I mean. I think she has called me names a couple of times...and I would too. Olivia, I'm sorry I can't pull over every time you whimper...but believe me, I want to. I thought about getting one of those mirrors so I can see her, but I know it would be more of a distraction than a help.

The fun part right now is when she follows me if I move around and if I talk then she turns her head to try to find me. It seems like people are drawn to her. (It must be that our baby is exceptionally beautiful and perfect and smart...that's it, I know it.) Maybe people are drawn to babies in general, but it seems like countless people per day comment on how she looks like a little doll and how good of a baby she is since she is so young and remains awake and happy for much of the time.

But, whenever David calls she starts to cry. Like today for example. And yesterday. Little Olive had been quiet for hours and peacefully looking around. Then, out of nowhere, my phone starts to vibrate, I begin to talk, and Olive starts to CRY. Loudly. Then the kind of LOUD where you can barely hear the other person talk on the other line.

This is really effective for when one doesn't want to talk to an estranged husband. A simple pinch (who would do that?) and then the baby would give an audible reason to get off the phone. This crying however is not so desirable when one does want to talk to her husband!

Today and yesterday were great days with friends. Yesterday (Tuesday), Tania and I got together at a sushi place in Redlands...but it was closed so we walked over to Jersey's which was surprisingly dark inside. So dark that when we came inside from the sunlight all we could see was black until our eyes adjusted. I'm sure we looked really intelligent (sarcasm) or like we were just beamed there and were trying to figure out where we landed. We split a salad (antipasta) and then split a pizza. I think both of us were trying to eat like ladies or something because we didn't finish the salad or the pizza which is like unheard of where I come from. (I like saying that...where I come from...it's not said enough...and it adds clout. Olive woke up when we were done eating. It was perfect timing, like I had a little remote I turned her "on" with. So, I promptly fed her because she wakes up with increasing volume. Then, burped her. She looked so happy. So, I handed her off to Tania who was waiting really patiently and wanted to hold her so bad. Good timing, Me! Within 20 seconds of handing her to Tania, Olivia fills her diaper and covers Tania's shirt. Let me just say that Tania's face said it all. She just laughed. Which made me laugh, after apologizing. Tania then escaped to the bathroom to attempt to clean up (where I might add, she did a remarkable job). After the 'diaper filling' was done, Olivia had her first little rinse off in the sink of the pizza place. Hey, it was the only thing to do really. It was everywhere. Poor Tania.

In her semi-camouflaged poop covered shirt, we walked over to Trader Joes where I got some stuff to ship to Bishkek--pumpkin pancake mix, pumpkin bread mix, dried blueberries (for baking when I feel like a Martha) and some dried cranberries (for the same reason), and I got some Oregano. For some reason, David kept mentioning to get Parmesean Cheese because somehow, that is how he remembered it. I thought it was cute and funny so didn't correct him the trillion times he reminded me to get it for MaryKay and Sasha. I got one for us too because if it is that good then we must be missing out on it. Tania got some Chai Latte mix and a 3 buck Chuck. Then, we walked back to our cars and said goodbye for another year. Next year though Tania will her house that is closing now, and Olive will be crawling. Good times.

Then today (Wednesday) I had all of the good intentions in the universe to head over to get our marriage license and to go to the DMV but alas, it became noon then one then two before my eyes. (Don't worry Davey, I will do those things tomorrow.)
Amber and I got together at her really nice, huge house and had a great lunch she made (Grilled Turkey & Cheese Sandwiches with Pesto). We talked about our kiddos and asked questions and filled each other in on our friends we were curious about. Amber and I have known each other for about 15 years or so. We were in YW together and I had my surprise 17th party at her house. We were on the tennis team together. Seeing our babies together was really fun for me(her 4th is 4 months old and Olive turns one month tomorrow). Time flew by when we were looking at her HeritageMakers site. So, before we knew it her kids came home from school and it was time for Olive and I to hit the road.

Being here a week is a blessing and a curse. Since it is such a short time I have to make the visits short but the time together is condensed and it makes me make the most of it.

So, Patty and I were getting together at 3 at the Sushi place...which I forgot was closed (duh!) so we sat in the car where Patty adored Olivia and Patty just stared at her. We filled each other in on what the last year had been like for each of us and then we decided to actually go somewhere to eat. There is a little sushi place on Redlands Blvd next to a whole-in-the-wall Thai place and so we chose the sushi place. Eating again, you ask. Yes! (I am really digging the American food so I apologize if I am describing the food too much) Patty is the fittest person I know. She is working out twice a day and teaches classes as well as being a personal trainer. She has a killer body now...she looked good before but now she is doing a competition where she competes against other people and their figures. She's not one of those man-looking women. She has to look feminine, just toned. Anyway, I helped her out today by letting her have the extra sushi roll pieces. I just can't let my friend starve! Her kids are doing good (can you believe her oldest is 13?)and all is well for her.

Okay, so socializing was done for the day and I was off to try to find Little Olive an outfit for the autumn photo session with her cousins tomorrow (Thursday). Where to go? Really, I am sick of shopping. I just wanted it over with. So, I went to Marshalls...nothing. I have a love hate relationship with liquidation stores since they are always so disorganized and are a shot in the dark about getting what you have in mind. Basically, they are great if your target search is for "shoes" or "a dress" but not so hot if you are wanting something specific such as "a fall dress for a newborn" or "a headband with an orange flower on it". So, shopping-weary, I head to Target where someone called me the b-word in the parking lot...I won't go into that...so I didn't want to go in there. Like I said, I was shopping-weary anyway so I went to Jo-Anns to get stuff to make a tutu and a headband. Misson accomplished for $16. Let me just say, it is really cute. Especially the headband. It's like, ahhhh, so cute. I hope you think so, Davey. I know you like it when I'm crafty, Davey.

Then, I went to Babies R Us because our little munchkin had used ALL of the NB diapers and I had to get some more. I opted for the SeventhGeneration brand of diapers since they are good for the environment and they were cheaper. I questioned them because they feel like the gritty recycled paper that was sometimes distributed in high school and I didn't like it felt against the side of my hand. But, they did survive a blow-out so maybe they will be good for the environment in another way...preventing an extra load of laundry. Low and behold, when I was checking out, Olivia DuBois walks in Babies R Us. So, our baby isn't named after her, but we couldn't have named Olivia "Olivia" if this Olivia was a terrible person. She is quite the contrary--she is so nice and a really sincere and happy person. She was a photography client and she is pregnant again (3 months. Her first is already 14 months old). So, we chatted and caught up and exchanged info and she asked all about David. I love talking about David.

So, time to go home. It was about 9pm by that time so I head toward Moreno Valley from Redlands. As I'm going toward the canyon, Olivia starts to cry. So, I pull over and nurse her and burp her, and change her...and put her back in the car seat. She does her "baby Pterodactyl" cry since she was tired and then went to sleep after her whinnying.

I get home and mom comes to unlock the gate. Olive starts to cry. I hand her to mom. I unload the afore-mentioned tutu making stuff and diapers and head inside. I have had to poop for the last four hours and somehow, I haven't managed to figure out what to do with the baby in that situation. I don't like the idea of bringing her into a public bathroom. And, I don't really like the idea of a public bathroom either. Even all the purell in the world can't help there. So, I use the bathroom at home because hey, 'family doesn't have germs', right? : )

Mom made some whole grain noodles, chicken and veg pasta. We consumed it and talked about the baby. Mom had an eventful day and asked about mine. I did the simple bullet point answer as I made the tutu and then came in to write this email.

Because I love you.

I got our flight info today and that works out well for me. Let me know if you want me to call April about it. I love you!

Love, Your best wife ever

Posted by JenBartlett at 12:31 AM 0 comments

Labels: California Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment