the bishkek adventure


although "our story" as a couple originated in 2006... the bishkek adventure officially began in july of 2008 when jennifer and i accepted teaching positions at an international school in bishkek, kyrygzstan. we started this blog with the hope that it would be an entertaining and accurate catalog of our years living abroad. although we are back in the states now after two years in central asia and our life is not nearly as exotic or exciting... we are keeping the blog going writing for our friends, families and for our first born child, olivia (olive) annmarie conover, who blessed us with her arrival on monday, august 24 at 2:15pm.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

"Heading" our way!

from Jen's blog Joy in the Journey...

I'm jumping ahead a little since I haven't posted about the 4th but we had a doctors appointment that doesn't require any photo downloads.

We had a big appointment on Monday. It was a radiology ultrasound that normally takes place around the 25th week. So, the radiologist was kind of spazzy but very thorough. She checked from her toes to her noggin. She has 10 little toes, fingers, organs are great, but the head...

is in the 95th percentile. The body is in the 30th.

I'm not too good at proportion ratios...and I still know that's not proportionate!

First thought: Ouch.
Second thought: Why? Then, the dr looks at David and pinpoints him as the cause. Normally, they would think that there might be fluid in the brain "but since Dad has a big head" they continued to say.

Anyway, all is well. No fluid in the brain. Just a big headed baby. Runs in both of our families. But, the good news is they grow into their heads like puppies grow into their feet. That's just fine with us. We are going to be those oblivious parents who have no idea their baby has a large head (even if we were told) because she will be the most perfect little human in our eyes. Just the way it should be.

At this point, and even since conception, we have both been in love with Olivia. Even if there was something wrong, we would still be her number one fans and advocates. We love our little, or not so little baby. We are so happy all is well with her (it's still so overwhelming to me that everything just works itself out most of the time and that most babies are born completely healthy when there are so many little things that could go awry.)

The ETA is still on track for mid-August to deliver. We'll see about that! I still have a baby quilt to finish before then! Time flies.

I have loved the little kicks this week. They are getting to be thunderous and shocking sometimes but it's such an amazing feeling.

This week:
(I loved the old list format with html that I used to do so I thought I would start that up again)
-Clean out laundry room
-ObGyn appt Wednesday to review ultrasound results and see if we still have to be on pelvic rest
-Go through paper mail we have accrued since Christmas
-Arrange room so there's some room for Olivia's bassinet
-Pick up Jenna at the airport on Friday
-Reward for completing list: buy a dress to wear at my Baby Shower on Saturday



Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Fourth

It was our nation's independence day and all I have to show for it is this stupid picture of a cake. Am I the only one that gets distracted on major holidays and forgets to take pictures?This one was actually taken on July 5th and the reason it is only of half the cake is because the other side was eaten off of.

We had a fabulous, non-traditional time. David and I went to his dad's house in Brazoria--a small town who holds the current record of the best fireworks show both David and I have EVER seen. It's like every burst is the finale...but then it keeps going and going. The Baptist Church holds a huge show in their lot complete with a stage, live music, and all the works.

David and I brought stuff over to the house to make pizza. We did. People ate. Not John. We chatted. We watched a huge Aretha Franklin sing (when did that happen?) and we heard fireworks from the house but did not see them. We played a word scramble game on the tv which got everyone involved. John had his eyes closed some of the time and still made word suggestions sporadically, which made us laugh. This time, he was doing a lot better than he has been. He was sitting up and pulling himself up. He had a new sense of autonomy with the burst of energy he was feeling.

We headed for Houston at about 10 before the party people stopped over-hydrating and caught some of the fireworks show on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment